Gå til innhold

The Great Alaskan Tour - Del 6

Anbefalte innlegg

Heisan alle. Her kommer del 6 av "The Great Alaskan Tour" og vi forlater nå sør-østre Alaska og beveger oss nord-østover.

It was time again to fire up the engine. This time I had to do a long sightseeing ferry thru Glacier Bay, over glaciers and up to Yakutat, there my passengers would love a couple of days surfing, trying the north Pacific waves their friends had told them so much about. After a two days they would like to fly up to Mt. Logan and down to Icy Bay. The last trip was work related they told me, without telling me more about that part.

The weather was rather bad, but the forecast was better so we decided to go, and fly low for a start.

Very foggy start out from Gustavus

Gustavus.jpg

We landed after a short trip in Bartlett Cove for equipment and cargo I was bringing up to Yakutat

ArrivingBartlettCove.jpg

After take off from Bartlett Cove I did a circle to let my passengers see the place and to find a way thru the clouds.

CirclingBartlett.jpg

When we left Bartlett Cove it was a lot of traffic on the sea. The spring has come for sure. Tourists coming back after the winter.

LeavingBartlett.jpg

I did my best flying and being a guide for my passengers and they look really happy, pointing out the windows and looking at maps. One of the guys used his camera all the time, and I tried to hold the plane steady. Here we are passing Geikie Inlet at the left.

LookinginGeikie.jpg

Soon we arrived Grand Pacific Glacier and they was overwhelmed over the sight.

GrandPasificGlacier.jpg

I decided to follow Ferris Glacier up to Mt. Fairweather

FerrisGlacier.jpg

Soon we had the first mighty mountain in sight, Mt. FAirweather is really great to discover by plane.

MtFairweather.jpg

An airplane passing us on the way from Yakutat took this picture. A lovely plane this Otter.

Otter.jpg

After a while we had passed the first mountains and we was passing Dangerous River and if you look closely you are able to see Yakutat Glacier.

DangerousRiverYakutatGlacier.jpg

After a few mile along the coast we had Yakutat airport in sight. It would be great with a couple of days rest, and I would use the time visiting an old friend that is a hunter up here in Yakutat.

YakutatAirport.jpg

Parked and ready for some recreation in Yakutat.

ParkedYakutat.jpg

Those two days went rather quick. My passengers was happy with the stay in Yakutat and have had some really nice waves they told me. I could not forget the story my friend told me about some strange activity up in Icy Bay. There was rumours that there was an explosive activity up there and that there was some illegal gold mining. He told me to be carefully going up there. Well, it was soon forgotten, the weather was really great and it would be a perfect afternoon for some really high peaks and more glaciers.

LeavingYakutat.jpg

Of course we had to fly over Malaspina Glacier and from there up to Mt. Logan.

MalaspinaGlacier.jpg

Soon we could see Mt. Logan rise from the ground. What a sight.

MtLogan.jpg

Beautiful sunset among the mountains. Could it be more perfect. This is Alaska on its best.

Sun.jpg

Suddenly I discovered a plane high above me, a sign that we are not alone in this wilderness.

Notalone.jpg

HighUp.jpg

From Mt. Logan I set the course to Mt. Saint Elias before we start the decent to Icy Bay.

MtSaintElias.jpg

Icy Bay ahead. The darkness are coming but the sunset is beautiful. IcyBay.jpg

This is what i live for.

Beautiful.jpg

Landing safely at Icy Bay. After shutting down everything and secure the air plane I got inside for a cold beer and catch up the news. My passengers had already gone. talking about catching a boat...

LandedIcyBay.jpg

I remember thinking why catch a boat at this hours, but my job was done and I didn't care much. There was a loud discussion inside and i heard someone talking about a picture and as soon as I entered they looked at me, and asked. "Did you see anything in your way in from the mountains?" No, I said. I didn't see anything... "You didn't see the big boat?" No, no big boat, and a man came over with a photo in his hands. Are you sure you didn't see this boat in Icy Bay? he asked.

OilTanker.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Emil-André Gundersen

jeg for vondt i skjermkortet vær gang jeg ser bildene dine. :grin: fantastisk grafikk, nydelig story, kan ikke bli bedre. :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i diskusjonen!

Du kan poste innlegg nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en brukerkonto kan du logge inn nå for å poste med din egen konto.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet …

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Fjern formatering

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere innhold har blitt gjenopprettet.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Opprett ny...